Wondering about FoW

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wondering about FoW

Post by Autarch (CM) on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:30 pm

I've actually been pretty curious about FoW for a month or so now, and I've been wondering what resources you guys would suggest for someone who's apt to want to try the game out.

I did play one small match with J.C. at the Square once, but I think I'd like to try again to get a better grasp of everything.

Anything I need to know about FoW that's fundamentally and radically different from the standard GW fare of tabletop gaming? I know some of the mechanics are the same, or am I mistaken?
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wondering about FoW

Post by rokassan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Its a d6 system. The game system is actually better than 40k. In a unit for example each base can do their own thing as long as they stay in coherency, for example two stands in your platoon could shoot at an enemy tank while the rest fire at an infantry platoon ,Some stand could stay in their foxholes while the rest assault as long as coherency is maintained.Of course coherency distance depends on the unit experience...Conscript(2 inches),trained(4inches) and veteran(6inches).If you really interested get the main rule book and set up a date to play with a couple of us...I guarantee you will fall in love with the game. Dont get me wrong I love 40k,fantasy and the rest, but Im confident you'll have a blast. Then once you try out a couple of good 1500+ point games decide which period and army you want to play. They have Mid and Late war as of now. And each country has different company types to choose from.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:18 pm

I agree that FOW is a very good game and in many ways better then Fantasy or 40k. The guys who made it were former GW employees so the system is very similar, hence alot of the crossover (in comparison to other historical games).

Alot of what Bill said holds true in regards to unit information, they act much more independently for particular things. The game system works really well and is quite historically accurate, which is what I enjoy the most about it.

Find out when some guys are playing and see if you can join in. Alot of folks have multiple armies and if not you can always team up to get a good experience in!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:03 pm

I love the rule in FoW where different stands in a unit can shoot diff things.
FoW is a great system, is fun, it flows well, the models are nice, is like playing 40k but with rules that would make 40k much more fun to play.

"I don't give a goddamn flying hawkman fuck what anyone says - THIS is the greatest fuckin' finale to a film ever. A legion of hairy winged super badasses attacking an art deco rocketship belonging to the evil ruler of the universe, a goddamn football player hijacking said rocketship and crashing it into a fuckin' emperor's palace on his goddamn fuckin' wedding day, saving the Earth with seconds to spare. With extra POWERRRRCHORDS for good fuckin' measure.

Flash Gordon. Fuck Yeah. "
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:11 pm

FOW of war is much more tactically challenging I think then 40k, that's what makes it more stimulating. Try knocking out a bunch of dug in veterans from fox holes, it's a tough nut to crack.

I just a lot of fun, especially if you like the era and the history.

Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2623
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:21 pm

Ovich wrote:FOW of war is much more tactically challenging I think then 40k, that's what makes it more stimulating. Try knocking out a bunch of dug in veterans from fox holes, it's a tough nut to crack.

I just a lot of fun, especially if you like the era and the history.

That's what I'm looking for, I like the tactical challenge and I thought this would be a good way of exercising that. (Not bashing WHFB or 40k at all, by the way.)

The former of your comment was what I really, really am looking for though.

There's this huge dichotomy in WWII with what warfare meant; in my opinion, which is why I'm (jumping the gun here, frankly) considering German or Soviet forces, I feel they both pushed the boundaries of how war was waged in their polar directions, how modern or antiquated can you be and still effectively put your doctrines into practice in a campaign against the opposing doctrine.

But, I digress.

How much is the main rulebook?
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:28 pm

You play Orcs and Goblins, so the russians are gonna be your cup of eta Smile

Main book is like 50 bucks, then you need ( depending on the era ) Ostfront ( mid war ) FestungEuropa ( late war ) and there are a couple of other books. Ostfront has germans,russians,fins, italians, hungarians during the german attack on russia. I just own the rulebook and ostfront, really all you need , unless you wanna play Britain or america.

"I don't give a goddamn flying hawkman fuck what anyone says - THIS is the greatest fuckin' finale to a film ever. A legion of hairy winged super badasses attacking an art deco rocketship belonging to the evil ruler of the universe, a goddamn football player hijacking said rocketship and crashing it into a fuckin' emperor's palace on his goddamn fuckin' wedding day, saving the Earth with seconds to spare. With extra POWERRRRCHORDS for good fuckin' measure.

Flash Gordon. Fuck Yeah. "
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:26 pm

The Afrika book has All the forces for the North African and Italian campaigns up to Dec 31,1943. On January 1st 1944 late war period starts.

The countries represented are the U.S., England and the CommonWealth,Germany and Italy.

Check out the Website.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Also, the armies are far more balanced pointwise. I don't think any country has an undue advantage.
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:03 pm

Don't listen to these people. This game blows!

Any game work anything would not exclude the Imperial Japanese army.
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Yeah, except they exclude the entire pacific theater, for now anyways Very Happy

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Love on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:45 pm

I've also been considering getting into the game, around how much does a 1500 pt army cost, for say, an American Company?
Dr. Love
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 344
Armies : Orks, Empire, Imperial Guard (WIP)
Registration date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:47 pm

Depends on what kind of company your thinking about. There is Infantry, Mechanized, or Tank company (are the three main ones).

FOW sells full 1500 pt companies for each one, and those are generally good places to start if your looking to buy the entire army at once.

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:18 am

As like any gaming system. If you go with an elite force you will have less models and hence spend less money. And vice versa horde armies can cost a bunch of money. The Box sets are nice but will run you about 200 bucks I think. Many of us have 2 armies, I have British and German. If you want to set up a date to try it out let me know. Or if there is a particular army or country you want to try out just say so, we have most countries covered.
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:53 am

I think a German Afrika Corps Panzergrenedier Company cost me $300.
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:28 pm

So I was fortunate enough to find some stuff about FoW online and I found something that really stood out to me.

I was wondering if any of you folks had any experience with the 10. Panzerdivision.

Also: When do you folks play, I'd love to stop by and give the game a look-see.
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:31 pm

Usually folks play on Sundays at Joel's and their tournament is usually the last sunday of the month.

Sometimes folks play at each other's houses too, but that just varies.

Oh, and Panzer Companies are nasty IMO, cause veteran tanks are just tough to deal with.

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Let me know if you're gonna buy any tanks, I may be able to give you some advice.

Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2623
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 pm

My advice..don't forget the Storm Trooper move if you're going to play German tanks.
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:53 am

Actually, the 10. Panzerdivision force I was talking about is one of the Mechanized Companies (Gepanzerte Panzergrenadierkompanie).

I was wondering if it was a risky move to take, as I've seen you folks discuss the relatively elite nature of the Germans and this particular Company seems to play up on the strength of the half-track (which replaces the field car) and the assault capabilities of the infantry. Am I misunderstanding the premise?

Last edited by Autarch (CM) on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 pm

Yeah, and FOW has special rules for the German half-tracks allowing them to assault (where as other half-tracks and other transports can't assault).

Mech-German armies can be very nasty. I played against a guy at Hurricon who had 18 halftracks on the table. Nasty and very, very quick.

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 pm

I've had mixed results with Panzergrenediers. One game that assault from their half-tracks won the game. In another one I did the same assault and got slaughtered. I dunno. Seems to be very expensive. I haven't used half-tracks in a bit, but if used right they can be very nasty.
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:44 pm

How many points is a small, introductory force comprised of usually for you folks? Something you guys could use to play a short game here and there at Sunshine or at home?
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlord Solskritt on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:10 pm

600pts is about right to try out the game.600pt games are pretty quick and will allow you to get to grips with the rules.
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:26 am

600 pts is basically the 40k Version of 400 pts or 500 pts for Warhammer Fantasy.

The rules change that you only need 1 combat platoon for 600 pts (rather then 2 or 3 depending).

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top