New points level is stupid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New points level is stupid

Post by KingdomCome on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:25 pm

So battle front has dropped their late war national points level to 1575. With this standard most of the major FOW competitions (if not all) are now switching to 1575. This , imo, will do 2 things within tournaments. 1) Fearless Vet and Confident Vet armies are going to be almost unplayable due to the lack of support they will be able to field. Causing rock/paper/scissors match up's if you do happen to bring those types of armies. Hey you couldn't bring enough anti tank to tackle that horde of tanks coming your way, or you couldn't bring infantry with that tank co to clear buildings. Congrats , you lose if you fall into either of those categories plus some others I won't elaborate on. More importantly if you truly want to compete, you can only compete with an even smaller pool of effective armies making the game incredibly stagnant for those interested in competing at a national level.
2) The only armies that would be able to bring the necessary elements needed to play successfully are those rated confident trained, reluctant vet, or conscripts of any kind. While not a terrible thing , it will limit variety by excluding MOST German companies , specialized US and British companies, and Russian tank companies. In essence its killing the fun of LW where every nation has toys , but can't really use them unless you don't intended to win in a major tournament.
This is a huge let down for me because I was truly interested in going to some major events this year as life is making it increasingly difficult to attend tournaments. I'm still grateful our small group still plays LW at 1750. While not the sweet spot of points, its light years ahead of 1575 from a competitive view point.
Am I off in feeling like this or is everyone else ok with the points change?
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New points level is stupid

Post by Abaddon on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

I actually think that 1750 is the sweet spot for LW. It gives enough points to use some toys yet forces you to make some tough choices.

As for MW I don't see it as a big deal. Less Russian ecumenical is always better.

I think anything over 1750 makes the game fun. At least for me. Doesn't force people to make hard sacrifices in lists.
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania
Registration date : 2008-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 am

While 1750 is nice for LW, there are some companies that still don't function well at that level. Mainly anything fearless vet due to having large holes in certain defenses. It's not as big a deal as 1575, but still annoying for certain players. Specifically any SS companies.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:33 am

That neuters my german options with what I own lol
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:43 am

I see your point, but if people want to bring FV panthers then they need to make hard choices as to what they want to include in the list to support them. Or just play friendly games with more points.

I think its a good thing lists have holes in them. It forces the player to be creative and learn to play better. Its no fun when the list is not challenging.

It like when GW upped their points for tournaments. Everything turned to shit cause people plugged the holes that the armies should have.
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jhope on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:41 am

I'd prefer to keep the 1750 for us in late war. I was thinking about upping the points for mid-war but don't want to lengthen the games to much. That may be the reason that they lowered the points. If someone takes piles of infantry, it can be a real problem beating them in 2.5 hrs if they are able to defend in prepared positions.

Elite forces do take the hit which sucks because that's what we mostly play.

jhope
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 294
Armies : British, German & Soviet armies
Registration date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 am

Abaddon wrote:I see your point, but if people want to bring FV panthers then they need to make hard choices as to what they want to include in the list to support them. Or just play friendly games with more points.

I think its a good thing lists have holes in them. It forces the player to be creative and learn to play better. Its no fun when the list is not challenging.

It like when GW upped their points for tournaments. Everything turned to shit cause people plugged the holes that the armies should have.

Don't mind change, but this new point value screws up my potential builds which now have lot of big point gaps. I pretty much am going to be forced to buy new figs to really make my germans playable at these point levels. My Americans are much more flexible at least.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:24 pm

I do think though that for late war 1750 would be best for the tournaments since as everyone stated we use elite armies.

We can just limit Luis and his mongrol Russians to 1500. I cant sit there for 3 hours while he moves 10 million penal bases. ;-)
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 pm

As far as Germans go in late War werent they short on everything? Didnt they lack in support constantly? This sort of simulates this. If you want those big FV SS Panthers then bye-bye good artillery support or Air defense. I still think 1750 was good ,but from a historical aspect the Germans were always out numbered.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Everybody is scared of FV panthers, when FV panthers should be scared of you. An up in points allows every army to bring more stuff. While FV or CV Germans are getting just enough points to properly support their army, everyone else would have a surplus making it easier to deal with them. Think outside the box. I'm not saying we should up points. I like 1750 just fine. I was only stating that the sweet spot for FOW probably isn't 1750 but something a bit higher. 1575 is still a bad joke.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:09 pm

I agree. 1750 is perfect. 2000 is better.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm

1575 ! What the hell man, thats like 18 less infantry bases that i cant bring ! Me is not happy.

I like the 1750 points for LW, like it was said before it lets me bring some nice stuff but also forces me to sacrafice ...do i bring those 5 IS-2s or 10 more T-34 85s ? is tough.

"I don't give a goddamn flying hawkman fuck what anyone says - THIS is the greatest fuckin' finale to a film ever. A legion of hairy winged super badasses attacking an art deco rocketship belonging to the evil ruler of the universe, a goddamn football player hijacking said rocketship and crashing it into a fuckin' emperor's palace on his goddamn fuckin' wedding day, saving the Earth with seconds to spare. With extra POWERRRRCHORDS for good fuckin' measure.

Flash Gordon. Fuck Yeah. "
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top