Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 231
Armies : FOW: US Paras (Late War) WOTR: Elves
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why doesn't every game company do this?

Post by Kyle on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:21 pm

It's cool thing to offer, though doubt it will become standard or common. Companies have to hire staff to create the software and continually update it. Some companies have been doing army creators on their sites though like the Infinity Folks, with strong enough tablets and such you should eventually get most of this working on your portable of choice. Think lot of RPG companies are realizing how useful apps or usage of the internet can be. Paizo made it's online rules reference into a more tablet friendly format and is a great help when we play Pathfinder. Don't need the rulebooks anymore and can just do an online search for a specific rule.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Rob
Well first, Privateer Press rocks. They are very in touch with their player base. However; while the base app is free, you need to by the faction content for $6.99 each. That's $70 for all 10, so sites like http://www.forwardkommander.com/ or the existing iBodger application will still be the preferred choices. I'd expect PP to try and shut those down if sales are not as expected.

Re: Kyle
Don't be surprised at how little the maintenance cost is. Harry does all the Warhammer updates for ArmyBuilder. I doubt it is more than a day's (8 hours) of work for him to add a new book as he is always ready to release 1-2 days after the offcial book date.

I met the 2 guys who made "The Idiot Test" smart phone application. It took them 2 DAYS to write the simple pattern code. It cost $.99 and they have over 25 MILLION users. That's my kind of paycheck!
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:33 pm

I mean while $70 is a relativity large investment it is still less than buying all of the decks. It seems that this app could even serve as a deck replacement. Also the quick reference of rules is great as well.

This really makes me want to dust off my little Circle army and give it a try. I like the idea that this could simplify some of the "house keeping" aspects of games to speed up pace of play. While I always want to be physically rolling dice, I would have no problem doing things like tracking damage, moral, and viewing peoples lists on some form of tablet.

Obviously years down the road, but I could see very high end gaming tables with a tablet built-in where all your lists and what-not can be done. That would just leave miniatures and dice on the table. Ok enough day dreaming for now.

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 231
Armies : FOW: US Paras (Late War) WOTR: Elves
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:07 pm

It's $70 you don't need to spend. Faction decks are not required. You need the cards to play, but you get your own cards when you buy the models. You can get digital books or use MKII Battle College to learn what other factions can do.

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/

Opponents ask to see cards all the time, and you don't want to be passing the phone around. Also, your opponent can't see your damage grids.

It's a neat idea, but it won't take full hold unless they force it by whipping out the other free options. They are a very player base friendly company, so I have a hard time seeing that happening.
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aosol on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm Looking forward to the App. and a sale of sorts to help push it. Laughing

Warbird wrote:This really makes me want to dust off my little Circle army and give it a try.

If you're bored, Come play Friday at PPF (formally FSC) We have 14-15 people show up. Call ahead and see if anyone is there. Most people are there at 5-6. Some are there earlier.

PPF South is located at
5917 S University Dr
Davie, FL 33328

aosol
Traitor Captain

Number of posts : 256
Armies : Legion of Ever-blahhhh
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile http://www.dakkadakka.com/core/gallery-search.jsp?dq=aosol

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 am

FCS is now affiliated with PPF?
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:10 am

FSC became PPF
Mike is out - Chris Nunez is now running the place. Way more gaming.
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:33 am

Mike is no longer owner, or hes still involved and just concentrating on his awful con stuff? Saw him and Sandy this weekend pimping Miami Supercon at Megacon
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:50 pm

As far as I know, Mike was just the manager. He is not the owner.
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down