Kasserine Pass, Italian contribution.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kasserine Pass, Italian contribution.

Post by rokassan on Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 am

Last Italian tanks in Tunisia attacking in Kasserine - Gafsa sector under enemy fire. February 1943.

Centauro missed both Battles of El Alamein, and arrived during the retreat from Egypt back into Libya in late 1942. They were involved in action in Tunisia and played a major part in the Battle of the Kasserine Pass.

About Kasserine battle a US historician wrote:
"This unit [the attacking unit] was a typical ad hock formation of the time for the Axis, composed of 53 panzers from the DAK 15th Panzer Division, 23 M-14 tanks from Centauro, 2 Italian artillery battalions, the three light infantry battalions of the 5th Bersaglieri Regiment, and a group of attached Italian Semoventi assault guns. On February 19, 1943 this Axis formation was ordered to capture Kasserine Pass from elements of the U.S. 1st Armored Division. On February 20th, during the opening attack on the key American position of the town of Djebel, the 5th Bersaglieri Regiment made a frontal assault on the U.S. positions that lasted most of the morning and finally carried the position, loosing the Regimental commander in the process. This action cracked open the Allied defenses, opening the road to Thala and Tebessa. By midday the accompanying Axis armored units poured through the pass, routing U.S. forces into one of the worst U.S. defeats of the Tunisian Champaign. The 5th Bersaglieri Regiment was complimented for their Úlan by General Bulowius, commander of the DAK Assault Group, who sighted their actions as the instrumental event of the Axis victory."

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts: 3599
Armies: [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date: 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kasserine Pass, Italian contribution.

Post by KingdomCome on Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 am

When I read "Italian contribution", I thought they cooked the Germans a nice meal before they went in Razz !

KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts: 1233
Armies: 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date: 2009-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Mon May 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Did you come up with that one on your own? Rolling Eyes

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies: [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 pm

My point is history makes you believe that Kasserine only involved Tiger tanks. It was a team effort and the Lowly Italians did kick ass on occasion. They actually contributed heavily to the whole North African conflict. Over 70% of the Afrika Korps consisted of Italian troops. Last time I checked they didnt do too bad.

Hold on I know what to do. The Grey Knight codex is cool. When is 27th edition 40k coming out. Rolling Eyes

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkweasel on Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Right before Christmas 2011.

smirkweasel
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts: 212
Registration date: 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Mon May 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Spaghetti Very Happy

KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts: 1233
Armies: 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date: 2009-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top