Dystopian Wars

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dystopian Wars

Post by jerryb on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:37 am

Anyone playing Dystopian Wars? Any comments, what armies do you have?
Do you like gaming systems based in Stream Punk fiction?

If so are there any local stores supporting it? Tates? Cool Stuff?

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/dystopian_wars.html
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dystopian Wars

Post by Hurricane on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:43 am

I have some friends that play it in house and they love it.

Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 am

Would that be "nice" Gab and Will?
Do you play also?
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:23 am

I picked up the rulebook a couple months ago after hearing a review on The D6 Generation. It's a cool system, I really like the Americans. The models are beautiful (though not all of them are out at this time).

I *almost* bought a pair of starter fleets but decided I had to spend my money elsewhere.

If money and time were no objects I would be playing it Jerry

I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword.
If on your journey, you should encounter God...God will be cut. - Hattori Hanzo, Kill Bill vol.1
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:17 am

It uses the Spartan games D6 system used in Uncharted Seas and Firestorm Armada. It's an ok simple system, it has similarities to the D6 system used by mongoose for the Call to Arms series. Interesting looking game but already invested in their other games and its basically the same game just with different miniatures so I'm not jumping right on it.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Someuberdude on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 am

I've been interested in Dystopian Wars for awhile now, just been busy with other gaming systems. The models are awesome.
Someuberdude
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 97
Armies : [WM/H]:Trollbloods, Khador, Cryx [WHF]: Vampire Counts [FoW] Fallshirmjager Company, Brit Paras
Registration date : 2010-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 am

Why yes it would be Will and Gabe. They told me about it but I haven't had a chance to try it. But now that I'm looking at Infinity, I doubt that I would start in on Dystopian Wars. However, the steam punk genre is pretty cool.
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Hurricane wrote:Why yes it would be Will and Gabe. They told me about it but I haven't had a chance to try it. But now that I'm looking at Infinity, I doubt that I would start in on Dystopian Wars. However, the steam punk genre is pretty cool.

Right Gabe, not Gab. I was talking to Will when he brought up this game. Apparently Gabe purchased a MEGA box set with four armies and they split it up.
I love the steam punk world/fiction and this looks to be my next madness. Unfortunately I don't have any income. I hope to sell off my Warmaster stuff and get into this game. We'll see. It appears to be a really good system of play (back and fourth turn sequence, individual unit activation; split fire; exploding dice), they scale is tab small though, 2mm! I will make updates.
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Gabe, like galonso Gabe?

If on your journey, you should encounter God...God will be cut. - Hattori Hanzo, Kill Bill vol.1
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:08 pm

No from what I understand, "evil" Gabe Alonso left the gaming world and nowadays spends his time beating his girlfriend to point of unconsciousness.

This is a different Gabe, who is a high school teacher and has about every gaming system known to man. His really nice and totally the opposite to G. Alonso.

So dork what are you going to do? You have the rule book, do you plan to play in the near furture? If not can I borrow or buy the Dystopian rule book?

.... do you like GW Warmaster? jocolor
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm most likely *not* going to play dystopian wars as much as I would like. I have other interests nowadays that require money to allow me to partake.

I bought the rulebook for $35, and it is still in perfect condition. If you want it I'd take $30 for it.

Never played or was interested in Warmaster, it just reminded me of Epic with Fantasy models, not my bag baby.

dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Kyle, do you know how many distributors there are for Dystopian Wars?

It seems everyone is out of stock on nearly everything.
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Not sure, they are UK based but Spartan games have become fairly popular in the US, I imagine they have a bit better distribution going on though at times there are lulls in stock because of the product being mainly resin cast and takes a bit longer to produce than metal. When Uncharted Seas became a hit for them they had a tough time keeping up with demand and were casting the figs as fast as they could, but they seem to have grown a bit since then but also now support three full product lines with a fourth game coming soon which is the land combat game for Firestorm Armada.

Miniaturemarket has pretty good stock on everything for the game though it seems http://www.miniaturemarket.com/dystopian_wars2
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 pm

jerryb wrote:Kyle, do you know how many distributors there are for Dystopian Wars?

It seems everyone is out of stock on nearly everything.
Jerry - I can put you in touch with a shop owner back home in New Hampshire who will ship here (he's the guy I got the rulebook from). I'll warn you he's not one to discount anything but he does offer GREAT service and fast shipping.

dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Kyle, thanks a bunch on providing the link to Miniature Market.

Dork, thank you also, but I am going with Miniature Market which I have had excellent results in the past in my purchase of AT-43 with this company.

Of course this is in the future, can't really afford at present.
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:54 pm

This game look really cool. I like the Prussians.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 pm

I might be more interested in this than infinity. A naval type game would be a nice change. I love Victory at sea.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:02 am

actually Bill, it's supposed to be a comprehensive system, land sea and air. it's just that currently sea and air are all the releases

but yea, the prussians are badass looking

dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:15 am

Of course I need to get into another game like I need a hole in the head.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:17 pm

rokassan wrote:Of course I need to get into another game like I need a hole in the head.

Rok, the game is cheap enough were I can get all of the major armies ($50 per standard army), which is what I intend to do. So if you ever want to play let me know, zero cost. Consider it like a boxed board game. The scale is so small transporting the terrain (which I plan to make/purchase) will be easy at 2mm to 6mm. I already have 6mm scale factories from my Battle tech stuff.

It is a combination of WWI and Victorian Sci-Fi (AKA Steampunk) one of my favorite themes. DorkJedi is correct, right now the majority of the forces are naval, but they just release more airships and they are soon coming out with ground forces. So you have a lot of variety which is major draw for me. The game mechanics are one of the best out there, although some may disagree.

Just to give you a little bit of the flavor go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nomad_of_the_Time_Streams

This one of the best examples of this type of fiction and most claim it started here (20th century version, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells are considered the fathers of Steampunk). It is out of print, but nevertheless I am trying to get a copy.
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:07 pm

Spartan games don't usually require much to play, and really the starter box sets for their games are usually enough for a complete fleet. You will want to buy more of course for variety, options, customization, and possibly larger games.

Like all their game systems, at first they concentrate on core generic units that everyone gets like battleships, cruisers, destroyers, etc. Once they release the core items for their games, they start to put out the armies unique units that have special abilities that no other army has.

They are simply game systems they use, though the one problem I have with the company is that they are not exactly the most concrete of rules and seem to revision them quite a bit. Both Firestorm and Uncharted Seas go major revisions to the rules within their first year, and individual units have in many instances gotten updated and changed several times. They have taken a bit of an approach to their games like Mantic is doing where they consider things as in beta testing and the rules for new stuff is never set in stone and will go several revisions till they accept a final version. You just need to constantly be checking their site rules sections for the latest version of everything including individual units.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Kyle, good to hear that my assessment is accurate, although I admit I am no expert.

I have no trouble with Spartan changing the rules to improve the game, but I agree it is a bit of a nuisance. That's an old MS-Dos trick to use the customer as your beta testing team.

So long as Spartan doesn't ding you every time with the cost of a new rule book. From what I saw they have updated PDF's for free.
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 pm

New starter sets coming soon, previews here: http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2011/05/03/46176

These are the land based starter sets so pretty much all tanks. The previous starter sets were based on the Naval aspect of the game. The original release of the game only had naval and air units but now land is finally coming and a unique part of the game of course is that it allows to mix it all in one game.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Wed May 04, 2011 8:53 am

You may also want to drive up or call Dogs of War in Palm Bay, as they carry a bunch of this stuff.
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:11 am

Well finally took the plunge and bought in at Hurricon as got some good deals on the figs for around 30% off. Picked up a British army, friend Steve who was there also picked up a Prussian force. Cashed out on several other games that haven't been getting played for a long time now at the Flea Market at Hurricon to just buy into a new game! Laughing
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next