Flames of War: Vietnam may be back

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flames of War: Vietnam may be back

Post by Warbird on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:16 pm

http://www.beastsofwar.com/modern-warfare/flames-war-hit-vietnam/

This article shows new boxes to be released with new Vietnam figures that were added from the original run. I don't know about everyone else but this is defiantly something I would want to do. More so than early war...

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 231
Armies : FOW: US Paras (Late War) WOTR: Elves
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War: Vietnam may be back

Post by Hurricane on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:32 am

That could be really cool! Looking forward to seeing what they do with it.
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:21 am

Thats very cool and pretty much confirms a 2nd system for them. Not sure how successful it will be with the potentially limited force options and the big problem with Vietnam set game is that it's highly dependant on terrain. Without proper Vietnam set terrain the game is just not going to feel right.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:07 am

I agree this game will be more terrain intensive forsure. I could see it placed at lesser points like 750 or 1000 on a 4x4 board do we can really pack terrain and jungle in there. Also the choppers are sick.

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Kyle wrote:Thats very cool and pretty much confirms a 2nd system for them. Not sure how successful it will be with the potentially limited force options and the big problem with Vietnam set game is that it's highly dependant on terrain. Without proper Vietnam set terrain the game is just not going to feel right.

I agree. The NVA didnt have much of a tank force, no tactical ground support, no Mechanized infantry,ect. It would be just infantry,light artillery,RPG teams, heavy machine guns...he Vietcong. The U.S. and NVA engaged in one tank on tank engagement...and the NVA armor were PT-76's which are light amphibious "tanks". They had their asses handed to them.Not to much to build on. I also agree with the terrain. Be prepared to buy a shit load of jungle terrain and villages. For the most part the whole war was platoon size engagements and ambushes. The NVA avoided large scale engagements. The Tet offensive was one of the few and despite popular belief we annihilated them. They won the political aspect. Id say go with a cold war themed run. NATO and Warsaw Pact. They could do time periods 1947-1957,1957-1965,1965-1972,1972-1989 or some shit like that.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:08 pm

They can do time periods and most likely will, they can also put in other forces like the Koreans and such who fought in the conflict, but still it's basically everyone versus the very limited NVA.

Flames of War obviously took lot of liberties with WWII though by letting players do whatever they wanted, because generally most historical gaming is highly dependent on historically accurate scenarios. Flames of War is more like 40k and such that you are given basic rules to do build a personalized force and random combat encounters.
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Not sure if they are coming out with a full line or not, but it seems lot of the stuff previewed is again going to be given away free rulewise in the wargames illustrated: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=70544
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 pm

New info up on the FoW site: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=2513

Looks like it's a 40-page book included in this months Wargames Illustrated. It will include the army lits as well as the modifications to flames of war rules to compensate for helicopters.

Like we thought the U.S. have all the toys but the NVA do get some cool fortifications. Maybe they can pop up in different parts of the table or something like that.

Anyone know if Joel gets Wargames Illustrated? I would like to see the rules

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 am

He does.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Thats a smart move I think. It will get folks to buy the mag, which actually has a lot of cool stuff in it.

Bet their hoping to boost their subscriptions with this. Smart move.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:29 pm

Im gonna field a Nam era force. Dont know which side though. Ill have to see what Eric is gonna do, since he is my main nemesis.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Pick what you want.... i will play either one! Just let me know.
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top