Paroxy nid question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paroxy nid question

Post by jspyd3rx on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/338492.page

This came up during the tourny. It got heated as it wasn't covered in BRB exactly or any FAQ. So I posted on dakka and even got yakface to help respond on the question. Let me know what you guys think and still wishing we had foundation of house rules for weird stuff like this. Funny thing is, it didn't matter and the archon and other HQ failed thier shadow field saves first go.
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paroxy nid question

Post by Wild on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:23 pm

I fully agree with the decision. What yakface said is correct and far less abusive. Yes it may seem wrong to some, but remember 40K is about trying to keep it simple in certain respects. Trying to make it complicated or duplicating effects from one casting of a power is....pretty fucked up in their eyes.

Wild
Cultist

Number of posts : 60
Armies : Tau, Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-04-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:55 pm

And that's why rules lawyers fail and I don't read Dakka. So much bullshit was spewed in that post I had to stop reading. The TO got it right and whoever even got heated over that needs to stop "bending" the rules. This type of incident is why 40k is such an aggravating game to play at times.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:20 pm

No reason to get angry. It was all kool in the end and enjoyed it very much. I would totally do it again and always will never have a problem playing anyone.
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Not angry. Not one bit. I just like pointing out the way I feel about things of this nature. You walk a higher path than I do. We all pay out the nose for these toy soldiers and I'll turn a game down against an unsavory character in a heart beat. Too many other cool gamers to waste my time with a..... douche.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Well, I think most everyone knows me by now and knows I try to get along with all. It was a move of desperation and it did me no good. I should have just kept him with wyches to deny attacks and last another round.
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:14 am

I'm the guy who had the issue with it, and I'd definitely lump myself in with the "snapshot" crowd, because it seems more realistic to me.

However, I'm perfectly willing to agree with the fact that the rules are super-hazy on the issue, and don't cover, for instance, what happens when a unit of ICs is hit with a positive or negative "unit-affecting" spell, and then splits up. That being said, I generally think it's something which would rarely even be an issue -- if I'm Paroxysming something, it's usually not a defensive measure, so much as a crippling blow before a charge. I'd never seen an IC detach to escape a "negative" effect, and I agree it's a clever interpretation of the rules in order to dodge a negative, but I still feel it's easier to use the "snapshot" method. I.E., "Tervigon casts Feel No Pain on Tyranid Prime + Warriors, and Prime and Warriors split, both have Feel No Pain, but if Prime joins up with Gants, Gants do not benefit from Feel No Pain", etc. There's no rule which really explains WHAT happens in a situation like that, and that's my (honestly) most reasonable way to play it. It doesn't make "sense" to me any other way, just like the Prime "giving" Gants Feel No Pain wouldn't make sense to me.

With all of that being said, though, I'm fine playing with the ruling as-is, with ICs being able to detach to avoid an effect. It saves time. I also just want to say that Jose is one of the players I most enjoy playing, and even though we went back and forth on it, and called in a TO, I have 0 hard feelings whatsoever, and would happily play him again, anytime (although I'm still puzzled about why you fed me those two squads of Reavers.. Razz)

Finally, to the guy randomly labeling people "douches" over the internet, without having any idea what happened, when it took place, what the disagreement was, whether or not it was unfriendly, etc.. Who the fuck are you, again? "The high path"? "Unsavory character"? Lol. Remember, bro, these are "toy soldiers". No need to get all philosophical and self-righteous.
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:31 am

Well... I do know who you are even if you don't know who I am. We've had discussions on these forums before and you always try to make yourself sound smarter than others when in reality you come across as a dick. You've said it yourself, you look for any loophole in the rules to gain an advantage over your opposition. Honestly, when this topic popped up the only person I thought of was you. Guess I was right. Maybe I do have you pegged. Maybe I don't, either way my name is Cesar. Look me up next time you're in the store and we can discuss this without the impersonal nature of the internet. A lot is lost in translation....
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 am

It can go either way. Needs a houserule. This has been discussed since 5th came out with relation to eldar and there is no RAW answer.
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Yep, what Chris said.

And sure, loopholes are wonderful -- they show superior knowledge of the rules, which factor into how you play the game. This isn't really a loophole, however; this is a grey area. But sure, we can have a discussion on rules, sometime, if you ever bothered to actually play me. I'd love it if you verified your assumptions in person, however. It's okay if you don't like me, though; I have enough friends already. I'd just prefer if you didn't always come across as a half-hearted internet "White Knight", standing for Great Justice all the time. I'm fairly sure you're probably the only one who cares.
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Jeebus, guys! Enough already. Let it goplease. I think you both are kool. Each of you are different, and that's ok. Toy soldiers remember. Anyway, it is a grey and rules as written still lean towards effect staying on one target unit. I think they will fix this in next FAQ. I will differ to what yakkface said as that is the best explanation I have heard on the whole subject and doubt anyone else could do better.
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Yep, I'm down with going by the way we played it in the tournament, too. No argument here. Smile
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skoll on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:19 pm

I want to revive the hatred placed in this thread....ok not really but the TO ruling seems a bit iffy to me.

Have a negative power cast on a unit, u combat squad them power dissipates? w t f? seems very loop holy.

If i throw excrement on a crowd of people and one guy leaves the excrement doesnt magically remove itself from him.. just saying
skoll
Slave

Number of posts : 7
Armies : space wolves
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Its not due to combat squading.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skoll on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:56 pm

I know it's just an example.

Unit's IC splitting from the unit shouldn't stop it from maintaining status effect that affected them as a unit.

Honestly the argument against the ruling is entirely more sound than the argument for it. I can agree to disagree with you guys, and honestly it isnt an issue for me ,since i wont be inflicting much in the case of status effect still seems to be kinda like a cop out answer
skoll
Slave

Number of posts : 7
Armies : space wolves
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rollo on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:55 pm

i am pretty sure when the tactical squad comes into play then they combat squad or not.....not during mid game can they do this i could be wrong....
rollo
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 268
Armies : sons of doubt chapter/ethereal high council guard
Registration date : 2008-03-04

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/honorandgloryrollo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down