what do you think

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what do you think

Post by bromah on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 am

we start making an inhouse rule book. start doing errrata's and filling in the gaps in the rules.
i mean 5th ed has another 2 years left but why not make a submission to those assholes at GW and try to make it better!

I mean cover saves from plasmas guns in a wide open space is stupid, they are dropping a sun on you!
or what about
when people checker squads to give a mutual cover save. soo a meat shield guy gives me a 4+ cover on a las cannon? really? soo that means he got hit by the las then right? soo why don't he die?

Those are just things off the top of my head.
what about the vaguery on wether a vehicle with transport capacity can begin the game (not a dedicated transport mind you) with people in it?
Some say the dick with the keys makes them all walk to the battle field? really?
bromah
Cultist

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what do you think

Post by ShadowMaster on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:45 am

No
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 am

Agreed with Shadowmaster, No.

5th ed 40k rules are fine. They're supposed to be an abstraction to ease gameplay speed. The amount of rule issues are nothing compared to previous editions, and most of them have to do with codexes, not the core gameplay rules.

If we start adding/changing rules based on how we think some things should work "realistically", we'll end up with a gigantic mess that attempts to be a simulation but really is several hours of us trying to figure out the exact rule to cover the exact situation. Do we want that? No.

Just offhand on your examples:

"I mean cover saves from plasmas guns in a wide open space is stupid, they are dropping a sun on you!"
---Why would you get a cover save without being behind cover?

"when people checker squads to give a mutual cover save. soo a meat shield guy gives me a 4+ cover on a las cannon? really? soo that means he got hit by the las then right? soo why don't he die?"
---Who says it represents that it hit someone else? It could just as easily represent you giving the order to your men to fire at a specific unit, and the gunner was trying to take a potshot over the cover unit and instead aimed too high, so the shot ended flying over everyone's head.

Again, it's meant to be an abstraction. If you want to go crazy, dig up the 2nd ed rulebook and spend all day playing a single game.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bromah on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:15 am

mmmm well going to ground gives a 6+ cover save

next no i rolled a successful to hit against you. I did not miss the armor/invul/cover save is to represent your resistance to that hit. the wall inbetween the two of us stopped the bullet. If that wall is made of people then a person got hit. that's why meat can't represent cover IMO.

and none of you cared to even touch on the transport issue.
btw this is also so we can contribute to improving a game we all like. if you don't want to play that set of rules or play test them then go 5th ed.
bromah
Cultist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster on Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:29 am

The game is complex enough and has enough room for debate without mixing in personal opinions about "how it should really be".
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bromah on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:35 am

I don't think the game is "complex" because it is difficult i think It seems complex due to the vagueness and poor editorial skills of the staff of GW.

I mean do i have line of site on a unit if I see a guys big toe sticking out from a behind a wall? that was a 30 minute argument! a simple "you need to see a torso, or the maximum number of units to be killed =1 as it's 1 big toe, or anything" would have been nice.
bromah
Cultist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:40 am

Theres already the INAT faq if you want something like that, and it's a more accepted "universal" faq that many tournaments have actually used. No need to come up with one that would be used only in a single store by a handful of people.

But you will never have 100% answers to all rule questions in any game.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum