Games for large groups

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Games for large groups

Post by KingdomCome on Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey guys I need help. I usually host board game night for my friends and theres a good turnout around 6 to 8. The problem lies in finding a game that can have 8 players, doesn't last 5 hours, and is easy to pick up. Any suggestions? We already play Descent, Arkham Horror, and milton bradley/ hasbro type game ( pictionary, etc....)
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Games for large groups

Post by Vycem on Mon May 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Hrm, 8 is unwieldy, 6 is a much better number.

6 I recommend Battlestar Galactica, Mall of Horrors, Rush 'N Crush, and Last Night on Earth off the top of my head.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Mon May 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Yeah what usually happens is we break off into two groups and play different games. It's kinda cool, kinda not. I agree on being large, but I'm not gonna tell people not to come and hang out. I've heard BSG is great, but it has a small learning curve. I don't know about the others though... other than Last Night....
How've you been Endre?
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem on Mon May 31, 2010 11:08 pm

Not bad. Work's been a tad crazy since we're moving to a new building in a couple of months, plus I was on vacation recently, but other than that can't complain. How about you?

I have board game nights too, and none of my players are gamers, so the learning curve is not bad. Trust me, if your players can play Arkham Horror (I don't think I could get my players to wrap their minds around that one!)

Battlestar Galactica does have a bit of a curve, but after a turn or two it makes a lot of sense. It's great, even if people never watch the show.

Mall of Horrors is a zombie survival game where each player controls each player in a mall and win by having your peeps win. What's great is that it's a survivor game, meaning everything is decided by vote...and someone always loses. Lots of backstabbing and other tension. Fairly simple, but rulebook is annoying (one of those where instead of organizing the rules by index, it goes over a sample turn and highlights each rule).

Rush 'N Crush is a racing game with guns. Comes with basic rules and advanced rules, but trust me, advanced all the way - it has a slight learning curve but the way it works is actually pretty visual and intuitive, and really captures the feeling of trying to make a hairpin turn as fast as you can while maintaining control of the car, trying to keep the engine from overheating, and trying to fire your machine gun at an enemy.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Mon May 31, 2010 11:58 pm

Those games sound cool. I've been doing well. I bought a house with my fiancee and I'm rocking out with my lawn chairs and folding tables. Not much in the fridge except bottled water and the occasional beers when company come over... to rock out with the lawn chairs and folding tables lol! . Other than that, I've been super busy with work and such. Not much gaming going on other than the occasional FoW game and maybe a lil bit of 40k. Lemme know when you wanna play anything board game or minis....
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autarch (CM) on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:00 am

In the spirit of keeping it simple yet still providing an opportunity to mix boardgames with inebriation.

Apples to Apples

The game is simple enough to play while drinking and fun enough to play at least twice in a blue moon.
Autarch (CM)
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 452
Armies : WHFB: Greenskins, Wood Elves | FoW: Wermacht Heer | WM/H: Blindwater Congregation
Registration date : 2008-03-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:11 am

I've heard of Apples to Apples and it sounds fun. Loaded questions is great too....
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:57 pm

If you break into two groups, that should be more manageable and allow for more options of board games.

JerryB
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:19 pm

For sure Jerry. It's just every now and then everyone wants to play Descent (biggest game in our group) and it only supports 5 people. We've tried an 8 man Arkham Horror game and while it was loads of fun (and completely insane) it just took too long.
Apples to Apples seems like it would be fun even when blitzed on booze.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Best choice would be to get BANG!
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php?viewType=view+board+games&fp=Acc-BGMGBangBullet01

It's a wild west set card game that is designed to be played with like 7-8 players. Very cool game whose only real problem to me is that it needs lot of people to play. so if you got lots of folks around, definitely check it out.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:30 pm

OH! I forgot about BANG!. I got it for my brother in law as a gift a while back. That is a sweet game!
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Race For the Galaxy is another good game. You need the expansions but it supports up to 6 players then.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beornegar Granitebrow on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:40 pm

You could get Wrath of Ashardalon and Castle Ravenloft and play them together (5 players each). I know that there are some homebrew combi adventures that utilize both sets.
Beornegar Granitebrow
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 57
Armies : DWARFS, BEASTMEN, SPACE ORKS, TROLLBLOODS
Registration date : 2009-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down