Canadadians or Finnish ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Canadadians or Finnish ?

Post by Frantic on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:21 pm

So, I'm gonna build an army. I already got lots of 15mm tanks so all I need to get started is an infantry company box with and a couple mortars/machine guns.

So, I'm trying to decide between building a Canadian or Finnish army.

With the Finns I can play Early - Late war vs. Russia and Late war vs. Germany.
With the Canadians I can play Middle - Late war vs. Italians and Germans.(I think)

The main thing I want to know is which will give me a broader range of opponents locally? Thanks Smile
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Re: Canadadians or Finnish ?

Post by Kyle on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:37 pm

It doesn't matter who your opponent is, the game is broad on what you are allowed to play unlike many historicals which force accurate pairings. As long as both players are playing the same era (early, mid, or late) is all that matters.

Late war is the most common generally if you want to have best option for most opponents. No on plays early since they haven't put out rules for early.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm

Finland as of now can field mid and late. There are Late war PDF's for download. Most of their equipment is good for both periods. Nobody fields the Finnish either,so you can be unique. When early is released there will be PDF's for them. Hell the fought the Winter war against Russia before WW2 started. Oh yeah most of their troops are rated fearless Veteran,so they are tough as hell.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Quite a few of us have midwar armies. I have Italians(Bersaglieri)Stephan has Italian Paratroopers,Hurricane(Eric) has Brits,Don has Russians and Germans,Dave has Brits. US Para's convert well back to midwar as do most american armies,so I have them as well as does Will. Also Rufus is looking at a Midwar force.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:51 pm

I can just about squeeze in Mid War with my Brits as well, though I don't get all the nice toys (Typhoons, M10's, Firefly Shermans and Priests) until Late War
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:53 pm

rokassan wrote: Hell the fought the Winter war against Russia before WW2 started.

Is this the US definition of when the war started (December 1941)? Winter War was three months after the invasion of Poland
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

I can do a mid war with my germans though it would be like a 4 tank only army. I can't make a mid war army in any other way with what I got Very Happy
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:38 pm

November 1939. WW2 started Sept 1939. I meant preGerman(pre-June 22,1941) invasion of Soviet Union.

Last edited by rokassan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 pm

My mistake. Anyhow that would fall into the early war slot...correct.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Cool, thanks for the responses. I think I'm gonna go Finnish. It actually turns out I can have a small canadian armored company Anyway. I already have everything I need to field it at 1000pts!
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 pm

Yay more Axis!!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Ive got Late War US para's Dan you aint alone.101st Screaming Eagle's.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 am

More bad guys to run over........
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:54 am

Look at this guy talking trash. Get your butt up early for once Cesar and come "run" over my Grossdeutchland Panzergrenadiers.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:15 pm

Rok, don't you mean "Gross Lard Panzzies"

Kingdom you will have no troubles running over little German girls.

JerryB
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Well I ordered my Finnish Company from resistant roosters. Not a bad deal. $56 shipped. I'm getting an HQ section with 2 snipers, 2 infantry platoons, a machine gun platoon, and a mortar platoon. And I've got 3 StuG Gs and 3 T34/76s from AAM already. I was gonna go with battlefront infantry so I could get it from Joel but all their Finnish stuff is in blisters only... building an army out of blisters is a little ridiculous.
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Each Finnish blister is a complete platoon from what I remember, it really is not a bad deal at all.

Also the resistant roosters figs from what I understood did not give you enough figs to make full FOW sized platoons.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Ya, but its still pricey. It would have been about $72 If I would have gone with battlefront stuff. I double checked and the RR stuff does come with enough figures. Apparently they are now making all their lines compatible with FoW.
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:00 pm

That's good. It's true though that despite the love people toss at Battlefront, they are kind of expensive as many manufacturers produce figs much cheaper, just as good quality, 15mm, and are full pewter often which costs more than resin. They also price things kind of oddly where a miniature much smaller is sold for the same price as a fig almost twice it's size.

Though overall battlefront is not that bad.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:26 am

I think their prices are pretty fair actually as long as your are buying boxes to build your army and then a blister here and there to supplement. When I start building up my canadians I'm going to buy those from battlefront.
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 am

They got good box sets especially many of the infantry sets with multiple platoons and parts, it's just some of their blister prices are kinda crappy in comparison. Compared to the prices of other historical manufacturers they are one of the most expensive though, but you also get the benefit of convenience of how widely available the product line is, and they offer one of the most diverse range of WWII figs on the market.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 am

In the far future Im gonna build a Mid-Late war Hungarian force. I think Canadians are Confident trained...arent they? I prefer quality over quantity. Early war Im going Viva La France. Im gonna end the war in 1939,... Hun bastards.There wont be a Holocaust, just women with hairy armpits and bad hygiene,Wine and cheese. Im gonna put all Nazi party members in prisons(Devils Island) in French Guiana to rot with Papillon.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum