FoW International Rankings

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FoW International Rankings

Post by KingdomCome on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 am

Man this company has their sh*t together.

http://www.rankingshq.com/flamesofwar/

Just another blow to GW. This game has been around for a fraction of the time GW games have been around and they already have ranked INTERNATIONAL players system. GW can barely write clear rules let alone run good tournaments. FoW FTW is gonna be the motto soon methinks....
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FoW International Rankings

Post by jerryb on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:35 pm

...eerr, uuhh. gurgle, snort...

"no comment...."

must resist response...

cough, hhggg, uuggghh...

"think good thoughts"

eh, eh,

"your observation is valid"

must leave, will weaking....
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:41 pm

You got to be shitting me lol

A ranking system would be the worst thing ever to hit GW games. The tournament scene is already shit and full of pompous jerks, adding rankings of players for the world to see... wow... fuck no.

This is like rankings in World of Warcraft which are used as dick measuring metrics to determine who has more importance in their words.

It's a nice thing to have, but frankly, keep that shit away from GW games, as it will just cause a shit storm of stupidity.

Flames of War in large part due to the historic nature brings in much more mature playerbase generally, while GW games is basically akin to a popular video game on Xbox, with a bunch of annoying foul mouthed aholes running around.
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:29 pm

I guess my point was missed. My comment pertains to the "meteoric" rise of FoW such as that they have clear rules, lots o' minis, lot's o' company support, and good tournament support. GW has been around much longer and hasn't even been able to get clear rules correctly yet. ( Maybe WoTR, but that has some grey areas as well.) I'm not promoting GW having a rankings system, in fact as it currently stands I'd have to give it a big FUCK NO! They have to fix many things within just the rules before some sort of proper tourney could be run.... then maybe they could start rankings.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:43 pm

LOL@Jerry

GWs problems are deep rooted in their business model. They write rules to sell models.

WoTR has many broken units - coincidently they are usually the more expensive metal models. Conversions for the win!

The whole one army update at a time thing guarentees you will never have a good balance in any game because updates are too far apart. Thus the whole power curve takes place.

In the digital age, it would be SO EASY to fix some of this, but they seem content - which is unfortunate. They are lucky their games are so much fun.
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Rules for 40k are quite clear, have been for long time. Rule issues tend to crop up primarily due to unique situations presented by individual army special rules, and not the actual 40k ruleset.

This is no different from Privateer Press, Mongoose, Rackham, DP9, Kraken, Wizards of the Coast, Wizkids, etc, etc, etc.

FoW has the benefit of a highly standardized rule system which primarily relies on numbers, and not on special rules. Rule issues exist in ALL game systems due to them using WORDED special rules, but this is not a case in FoW as primarily armies are simply different on numerical scales. There is no room for misinterpretation of FoW rules because your simply looking at numbers, and not reading and trying to decipher words on a special clause and compare it to another models special rule.

This is where the nature of Historical games tend to often benefit over other games in that they are often dependent on numbers instead of trying to adhere to some kind of fluffy rules to make a game interesting. Would 40K, Warmachine, Malifaux, etc be as much fun if they stripped all the rules out of the units and armies to make it a simple game of numbers? Not as much and it just does not fit with these types of games.

Flames of War is a solid product, but with any and all gaming, one has to be very subjective when comparing such different things as not everything applies to one another.
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 pm

So we're all in agreement scratch ?

Shadow's right though GW is lucky their game is so damn entertaining.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Not sure what your wanting to agree on. Rule wise, your never going to see most companies reach a level like Battlefront simply because of the type of games they produce. To create a streamlined rule set like FoW, other companies would have to strip most of the fluff and feeling from their games which will turn people off from them. Otherwise why would you play 40k or Warmachine if the models were the only unique aspect of them?

Ranking systems are tricky and not really good in many situations. Lot of games have done them in the past long before Battlefront and it's been a mixed bag of results. Why are they even needed in a non competitive game format? In highly competitive circles such as with CCG's and such, it makes more sense, why they decided to purchase it for FoW is odd. To note also this is not really Battlefront implementing a ranking system, but them hiring another company to handle it for them.

I never cared for turning games from fun, to competitions. One of the worst things to happen to GW was it growing into a competitive game for many with so much tournament play. People no longer played for fun, but to compete, and in doing so has lead the game down the path of streamlining an simplification to a point, that it's often become stale. Everything became mechanical, lot of the flavor was lost, lot of the fun was drained out to make "balanced" gaming environment to appease the tournament attitude.

GW of old was much more fun and simply a game. A ranking system I don't feel would be a good addition ever, and rather see them go in a far more casual direction.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Sweet, I'm #117 in the USA LOL...
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Hurricane wrote:Sweet, I'm #117 in the USA LOL...
I knew some one would appreciate this. Play the Rocky theme song as you attend events and watch your rankings rise as you win.... It's the Eye of the tiger......
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 am

Kyle wrote:

FoW has the benefit of a highly standardized rule system which primarily relies on numbers, and not on special rules. Rule issues exist in ALL game systems due to them using WORDED special rules, but this is not a case in FoW as primarily armies are simply different on numerical scales. There is no room for misinterpretation of FoW rules because your simply looking at numbers, and not reading and trying to decipher words on a special clause and compare it to another models special rule.

Dear gods, do you visit the FOW forums at all?

There are arguments all the time due to the wording of rules, and what the wording actually means, and what some players want them to mean.

Thankfully, the more mature set of players (in the most part) means that most of the time, this can all be hashed out. Also, the design team at Battlefront maintain a good presence on the forums and anything really puzzling get handled by them.

Thankfully
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 am

I do, but it's usually stuff that is easily ironed out. Most new intel briefings don't add much new rules at all and specific units are pretty much nothing but stats and follow USR's from the main book that have been around for years. There is no game that doesn't have "rule arguments" on it's forums, but some are most often and heated than others. Battlefront usually takes care of things pretty easily.

It's not like games like Warmachine where EVERY model has special rules and often causes conflict with multiple other special rules and things get dragged out with no answer for periods of time.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:13 am

Hurricane wrote:Sweet, I'm #117 in the USA LOL...

And Ive beaten you down many times so I must be #116...unofficially.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:15 pm

It goes both ways my friend! Maybe you should go to Recon and get on that list?
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:40 pm

I'm dying here, dying....

mercy...
uh, no comment.

JerryBee jocolor oh, I haven't used this one.
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:22 pm

I like how I know about 7 guys on the top 25 page list, and have played them.

Man, I love FOW!

WOOT: I'm 82nd!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Surprise Surprise , The GERMANS have the most tournament points.

Who woulda thunk it ?

(Not too sarcastic was it ?)

Maybe it has to do with the fact that they can all move after shooting?

NAAAAAAAAAH... that has nothing to do with it.

Besides, stormtrooper move fails most of the time right Erik ?

Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2623
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Actually Ovich, I think it's due to being the most popular army.

So if more people are playing Germans then any other army you are bound to have better stats.

JerryB
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:07 pm

This is true. A lot of the main tournament results I've seen have Allied armies winning. Hell, Hurricon 2008 an Italian won!

Germans are by far the most popular army, not to mention that a lot of tournaments strive to make it an equal "red vs blue" and in Late-War, it's almost ALL German.

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:47 am

And Hurricon 2009 British won
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:42 pm

yeah, but the top ranked dude plays with Germs.

Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 am

After several months or over a year and many more results entered in, if Germans dominate the top 10, then yes it shows more of a problem than simply there is more german players. Too early to tell anything really.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm

I don't know , it just seems the Germans are Always formidable. I understand that it echos real life. The Germans were always formidable. but in game terms, you wonder if the game is balanced enough.

I understand why so many people play Germans, primarily because there are so many options, it's a very versatile and interesting army to play. This must have been planned this way because the developers new, that even though you have the italians, hungarians, finns, and other axis powers, the Germans are the main axis force. Where as the allies have 3 main forces.

Lord of Chaos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Germans just had the coolest toys and were in general, bad ass looking. They probably had one of the most aesthetically pleasing militaries in history. Germans always have been popular for various media uses and in other games as well.

In real life, war was not equal and balanced, they did not agree to fight with a codex of battle and a 1750 point value to meet on both sides, so we have to hope the point values and game design create a more balanced environment.

As already been said, Germans do not always win the big events, and really rankings like these usually mean very little until you have alot of data gathered over a period of time. If after alot more results are collected over much longer period of time shows that top of the board dominated by German players, it does show a balance bias, but right now it's hard to call because as has been said, it is the most popular army.

It's like 40k how people for years would say that the Space Marines are over powered, yet tournament after tournament, SM armies didn't win even though it was the most played force in the events. People just assumed they were the best and overpowered army because so many people played them.
Kyle
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:46 pm

I agree.

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down