New to the game... A gathering....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New to the game... A gathering....

Post by KingdomCome on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Hey guys I hope you are all still "in" to FoW. We have about 4 maybe 5 new players starting up right now. I know you guys have been running small tournaments for months and I hope they only get bigger with the wave of new people playing. I'm one of the new guys and I was wondering if there were any general tips you guys would freely share. Also what is the points level most of you play at? I'll be more than happy to pass any info along to the group. Anything to get us moving in the right direction would be helpful. We're starting with Late-War. Q & C welcome.
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New to the game... A gathering....

Post by TheLimey on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:39 pm

I've played in one tournament so far, and had a blast, even if the damn Russki's handed me my @rse on a plate.

I think tournaments tend to be 1500 points, whether they are Mid war or late war, as that means you can get in three rounds and not be still playing at 9pm. Personally, I'd like to see late war at 1750 points, but hey I'll go with what the organiser says... ;-) Friendly games I've played from 1750 up to 3600 points, which took a few hours but which was a lot of fun...

One thing is to not get discouraged. At first there seem to be some combo's that you just cannot seem to do anything about, but from playing a bunch of friendly games as well you end up finding that there is always a counter.

Terrain - If you're used to the average 40K battlefield, then you'll need to put more terrain on the table for FOW. The average WWII battlefield was considerably cluttered, unless you were fighting on the Southern Steppes of Russia, which could be a little barren.

What forces are you guys putting together?
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Oh, and as for not being around to play much, once the Florida Ren Festival is done in Mid March, I'll be back playing...
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:47 pm

WoW! Thanks for the fast response. My buddy is putting together a Welsh Guard list from Hells Highway. I'm putting together a soviet IS-85 heavy tank list. I don't know what the others are bringing. I was initially going for a Free French list, but ... fuck the French. They shoulda fought harder at the beginning of the war Razz .
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Once we're into March, I wonder if an escalation league may be called for...? I could do with it for the German Sperrverrband force I have, so I can get it started....
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 pm

TheLimey wrote: I could do with it for the German Sperrverrband force I have, so I can get it started....

Ummmmm... yes?
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:42 pm

I suggest using combined arms. Don't get tank heavy. Dug in infantry can chew up unsupported tanks. I play mid war Basiglieri(Italian) and late war Panzergrenadiers.been playing since 2006.

rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3599
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

View user profile http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 pm

General tips about FOW...

1. You need to do some research on actual companies that your trying to mimic. FOW has done a great job of, if you follow what people historically had and played using their tactics, your generally pretty hard to beat! This means taking a platoon of infantry with tanks, because tanks RARELY went in unsupported.

2. The game is simpler yet more complex then GW games. I think an escalation league would be GREAT way for us to get folks going again. It would motivate me at least.

3. Try your best to MAX out your Combat Platoons, as they really are the bulk of your army. Your support & weapons platoons will give some good stuff, but really its your Combat platoons who will be doing almost all of the work.

Let us know when you've got some stuff assembled and we can try to sit and talk shop and perhaps get a couple of games in.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 am

Well the IS-85 list is going to have 7 tanks total. Is that too many?

*edit* Even better lemme put the list together, post it up, and let you guys have a look see....
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:31 am

That would work best. 7 Tanks for a Tank Heavy list isn't too much, it depends on what else you got.

Standard Tournament size is 1500 or 1750.

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:17 pm

It's not a tank heavy list, it's a list of heavy tanks LOL. Not to worry though I scrapped the thought of running that list. It has no way of being remotely balanced. Any thoughts on a fun list to run? Preferably something not every one else is running No .
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:26 pm

Well, you still looking at playing Russians? If so, give a look at the lists in Stalin's Onslaught, Hammer and Sickle and River of Heroes, and see if anything takes your fancy.

I'm not so concerned now about balanced lists. Hell, I've got plans (and figures already) for a Polish Home Army list...
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:57 pm

You'd be surprised, as there are many balanced lists out there, and it's really about play-style.

For example: I know lots of guys who run Tiger Company lists and love them and constantly win. Then again, I can't stand those kind of models and have found them to be very unsuccessful.

You really just gotta play a little and see what tickles your pickle!

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 am

I'm ready for another tournament. Any word on when the next one will be? IF there isn't one in the works soon, maybe I will try to set one up.
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 am

scurrdi wrote:

You really just gotta play a little and see what tickles your pickle!

If I was only going to play with what tickled my pickle, it wouldn't be 15mm soldiers... Twisted Evil
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:58 am

There is a really big and great crowd of FOW players. Its just very difficult to get them to play at Sunshine, most play home games.

Joel has excellent 15mm terrain, a lot which is painted.

Hurricane got me started on FOW.

JerryB
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

Given the new size of the store, it should be less of a problem getting people to play. Space was always a problem.....
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Erik,

You live!! Joel and I have spoken a few times about trying to get a qualifying tournament together but never really got it going (I've been too busy to organize something like that).

I think, with this new influx of new players, that a smaller size (maybe 1k pts?) tournament would be good. Erik, feel free to help get it going!

What does everyone think?

scurrdi
Chaos God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 am

As long as you don't run it until after the 21st of March I'm up for it...
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum