Forgeworld: Project Thunderbolt

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forgeworld: Project Thunderbolt

Post by Michaelharmon on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Cleaned, Trimmed, and finally pinned for fit before priming and painting. No glueing yet, but I'm putting my Imperial gaurd's commander Creed model on hold to start on this project for the upcoming Apoc game. This model had been making me nervouse for months because I want it to be perfect. So now that I feel like painting again I am going to try and tackle her for the upcoming game. I have to get some black primer this weekend before I can start in Ernest but I think she will turn out even better than my Arbus lighter but I may have to skimp on a detailed basing since I want a flying stand but intend to magnatize the landing gear so I can pit it in a landed position when not in play. Plus it would make a neat objective or piece of scenery.

Anyway, going to keep my grey battle hull gaurs theme with an off white underbelly. I may do a double eagle icon or iron cross on the tail or fuesalage not sure. I going to keep the canopy loose so I can take the ejector seat out as an objective and put in the seat without a pilot.

Feel free to post ideas on the build or names for the plane and pilot.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Number of posts: 613
Armies: Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.
Registration date: 2008-03-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Forgeworld: Project Thunderbolt

Post by rollo on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:08 pm

i wish i can have a real one when i deploy lol

rollo
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts: 268
Armies: sons of doubt chapter/ethereal high council guard
Registration date: 2008-03-04

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/honorandgloryrollo

Back to top Go down

Update 1

Post by Michaelharmon on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Couple of days in. Goal is for major body componets to be in their prime color by tonight and finished tomorrow wijle adding a magnatized landing gear. Cockpit is mostly done but leaving the pilot seat unglued so I can remove him and place the seat with no pilot in it on occasion. Most of the main engine detailing is done to and I think I'm going to leave the top engine cover lose so I can show it off. May do a pinning like on the side hatch panels. Also I think I'll leave the main afterburner in the rear dark instead of giving it an engine flare and just do the engine flare on the main wing mounted engines.

Any thoughts??? Any???? Suprised only one reply this far.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Armies: Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Update 2

Post by Michaelharmon on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Got to my stopping point tonight it seems. All the large body pieces are painted. I haven't chip effect the wings or added the detail paints yet. In fact they aren't glued on just held on with the brass pins so I could see how the weathering effect was coming together after greying the body panels. Goint to place to red strips on each wing tip I think like a world war 2 identifier. I think it Will lok nice. Also added the Double eagle symbol from the novel to the tail below the red trim there. I think it's coming together nicely. Goal for tomorrow is to finish the canoy and maybe the pilot as well as attach the landing gear sections so that they are removable and the plan can sit on it's own in my display case rather than the flying base all the time.

Anyway, still hoping for some replies. Anyone even still check the painting sections? Beginning to think I'm posting for my own benefit here.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Cockpit interior detail done and put in place (Minus pilot).

Major weathering and wing detail in place with lighting effect on wing tips as well as engine cowling detail in place. Still not glued on as I want to get the engine assemplies done to do the burn on the paint when they are in place as well as finish a few more detail pieces that are easier to get to with everything lose.

Side Shot.... Leaving the side panels lose for now until I'm ready for assembly. Making the landing gear removable is going ot be a bitch b ut I may tackle that issue tomorrow depending on if I have time and inspiration. Not getting alot of feedback so this may be my last post till the is done.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:15 pm

Woot, coming along nicely. I like the line work (on the nose and wing) and while it may not be the first you've done it, its the first time I've noticed(and to good effect). I'd really like to see it in person though.
The streaked drybrushing looks good (if that's what that is on the wings and tail).

I'd like to see more of it man. Its a really cool model and a really good paint job.

The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts: 1571
Armies: Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date: 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:21 pm

also, lets get some BFG on-

You can teach me a thing or two about the rules and maybe point out some stuff that I've gotten wrong. If you're up for it Cool

The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chef xenos on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:45 am

mmm 4 way free for all bfg
chris"s eldar and there damn puslars,nate's chaos and there big guns,my nids with a buttload of ordance, and mike with whatever templars have in bfg

chef xenos
Primarch

Male
Number of posts: 814
Armies: {40k and apoc units} tyranids,gene-cult,exocrine,dominatrix,fortress of faith {bfg}tyranids {battletech} void-stalkers(merc/pirates)
Registration date: 2009-01-08

View user profile http://john80687.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Yeah the dry brush with the wind direction and layering of greys make a great effect. I should have her assembled tonight and just have minor detailing and the pilot to finish.

As fir bfg I play mainly space marines. I have eight strike cruisers and a battle barge with a few support vessels. My imperial navy fleet is even bigger with a few mechanicus ships. I Aldo have the ramalies star fort so we could do some senerios. Just need a day.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 pm

At the 90% mark. All that is left is the Pilot, the ejector seat minus pilot. Detailing to the landing gear, Weapon systems, and finally brass etchings and minor decal work. I intend to create a stencil to do a white double eagle or gold double eagle symbol on the tail section. I'll all lso work on free handing the things like pilot name and perhaps othre aircraft markings. Not sure what squadron number or name I may associate this bad boy with or if I'll do a form of nose art. Feedback has been somewha sparce on that so I'll see what I come up with.

Next pic may see this thing done. Also may or may not do basing on the flight stand as I lik ethat it doens't detract from the plane or take away from whatever gaming surface I may play on.

You alsoc ant see it but the landing gear panels are magnetized and I pinned the landing gear so I can place it on the ground as landed. Also left al the engine and side panel panels lose so You can see interior details of the model.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm

I wouldn't freehand writing if I were you- it never comes out right (but you can try).

Nose art would be pretty sweet. Especially if you do it the way you did the "hard six"

The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by McSheehy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 pm

You do go above and beyond with the detail at times, don't you?

I have to say I love the weathering effect along the wings and body. I just hope you remember to continue it after you do the nose art, writings, or whatever other details you are looking to add. You don't want them looking too fresh and new next to the weathered parts.

Free hand for any writing is okay if you want to make it look like the pilot painted it on himself without using a stencile, otherwise it is best to avoid that if you want it looking neat and clean.

As for names... heh... don't ask me, I'm terrible with coming up with names (for example the majority of my BFG fleet are names I got ships in some sci-fi novels I've read).

McSheehy
Traitor Marine

Number of posts: 142
Registration date: 2009-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 pm

Stencil is my first choice for sure or decal generation. Problem is I can't print white and that's what I want for lettering. Also I'll definatly weather any details. I already scorched the paint near the engines and exhaust. I left the main after burner dark but did a blue engine flare in the two main engine drives. Overall I love it so far. Just hope I can get it to balance on the landing gear when it's attached. A little ass heavy when I tried it. Course feet weren't glued to the hydrolics yet.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Hey who got what's his names eldar fighter from izzy's place when ge gave it away? Just curious as I would like to do some Ariel engagements.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:36 pm

In the Landed Position

Landing gear. removable via brass pins for stability.

Magnatized hatches for game play.

Some of the forgeworld brass icons. Decided to give an inquisitorial badge to refrence some type of service either current or past. Also placed an Armageddon plate on the right engine housing and another Aquila on a rear access hatch door. I'm leaving the tail loose for when I do my stencile work so it is easier to do but besides finishing the pilot and doing a few tweaks she is done and ready for combat. I'll have my wife do your pic display and post them sometime soon so everyone can see all the detail work.

Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum